As your body changes throughout life, so should your beauty routines. You might be confused, however, about how to emphasize your natural beauty with makeup as you age. Here are 6 makeup tips to help you look youthful, fresh, and vibrant, while still looking age-appropriate.
Check out this video for a total makeup tutorial (http://lisaeldridge.com/video/25644/glowing-youthful-make-up-look-for-mature-skin/).
1. Start with a Moisturizer
- Moisturized skin is healthy skin. Using moisturizer regularly will help your skin glow and retain elasticity.
- A healthy diet and good hydration will also help keep your skin looking young.
- Avoid substances that dull and harm the skin, such as alcohol.
2. Forget the Heavy Foundation and Powder
- Caking on the makeup is a surefire way to make you look older. Keep it fresh and light.
- Go for a moisturizing BB cream foundation that has light to medium coverage for best results.
- Avoid loose powder. Instead, opt for a pressed powder without fragrance (which can be irritating).
3. Use Concealer Correctly
Use concealer lightly to reduce the appearance of brown spots, don’t slather it all over.
- To apply, use a stick concealer and dab onto brown spots.
- If using liquid concealer, make sure your face is freshly washed, as bacteria can get into the container and cause acne.
- Use a cosmetic sponge to gently blend the outer border where the concealer has been applied.
4. Wear Neutral Colors
Dramatic eyeliner, eye shadow, and bright lipstick may have looked good in the 80’s and 90’s, but try more subtle tones as you age. Lighter colors serve to brighten the complexion–not draw attention to flaws.
We love the pre-made eye shadow palettes that come with brow highlighter, lid color and crease color all in one.
5. Shine with a Little Shimmer
- While you don’t want to put anything overly sparkly on your face, a little subtle shimmer in your makeup helps your skin appear dewy and glowing.
- Use skin brightening cream in the inner corners of your eyes to lessen the appearance of dark areas.
- You can also use brightening cream of shimmer powder on your upper cheekbones to accentuate them and to visually draw them upward.
6. Pay Attention to Your Lashes
Lashes tend to thin and straighten as you age, so unearth your eyelash curler, and put on lengthening mascara. A dark brown shade is subtle and gets the job done without looking overly dramatic for daytime wear.
Other Options for Looking Younger
While makeup can de-emphasize signs of aging, it can’t actively fight wrinkles. Fortunately, there are a wide variety of anti-aging treatments available, ranging from stem cell skin care to BOTOX® Cosmetic, injectable fillers, and facial rejuvenation surgery.
For an effective and natural anti-aging solution, consider a facial fat transfer procedure. In addition to refreshing sunken features and filling in lines, the procedure allows valuable adult stem cells to be banked for future use.
Fat transfer surgery can also be used in procedures such as the Brazilian butt lift or natural breast augmentation as well. Our Long Island and NYC fat transfer patients are typically very satisfied with their natural-looking results.
To get started, call our New York offices to reserve your complimentary consultation at 212.206.0023 or 631.499.1831.