When people start to consider fat transfer, they often want to know the benefits and risks that come along with the procedure.
It’s a good idea to know these, so you can determine if it is something you want to do.
The Basics of Fat Transfer
Fat transfer is a multi-step procedure in which a plastic surgeon first uses liposuction to remove fat from a part of the body. This fat usually comes from the abdominal area, thighs, or buttocks.
Once the fat is removed, it is purified in the office for immediate injection. For an additional fee, the remaining fat can be sent to a FDA-registered laboratory for additional purification, processing, isolation of the adult stem cells, and cryopreservation.
For stored fat, the fat can be shipped to the plastic surgeon in time for the patient’s day of surgery. It can then be used to inject into the body wherever the patient wants to enhance.
The Pros of Fat Transfer
- Fat transfer means moving fat from one part of your body and placing it into another. It’s your own fat, so there’s a significant decrease in the chance of allergic reactions.
- Again, since it is your own fat, it’s a natural approach to plastic surgery.
- It lasts longer than dermal fillers.
- It’s non-surgical (no cutting involved).
The pro that most people love is that it’s effective and natural looking. If you want larger buttocks, breasts, or fewer wrinkles, you can seek natural fat transfer and it will be as if you naturally looked that way.
The Cons of Fat Transfer
- It does take time to process the fat for patients wishing to have a breast augmentation, for example. A more than one cup size increase requires future injection sessions timed several months apart.
- Fat transfer costs more than dermal fillers because liposuction is first needed to harvest the fat. For patients wishing to use their fat in the future, the fat needs to be processed by a lab, and the liquefied fat is cryogenically stored in between injection sessions.
- Dermal fillers can be done with one session. Fat transfer sometimes has to be done over several sessions if a higher volume is desired.
Best of Both Worlds at Advanced Cosmetic Surgery of New York
As you weigh the pros and cons, think about what’s most important to you. Many people prefer natural over artificial, don’t care about the cost, and are thrilled to be able to lose fat in another part of their body. They actually find that it works best for them because they slim down in one area and get the look they want in another.
If you want to learn more about fat transfer, liposuction, or dermal fillers call us today. We have highly-qualified New York plastic and cosmetic surgeons, as well as our dermal filler injector James Christian, RPA-C, that can answer your questions.
You can schedule a free consultation by calling our Manhattan office at 212-206-0023 or in Long Island at 631-499-1831.
We have several financing options available to patients that qualify. We offer zero down, low interest, and low monthly payment plans upon credit approval.
Call us today to move your body fat to all the right places so you can love your curves again.